Monday, March 20, 2017

Blurb Photobook Design Response

An aspect of this book-making process that I had not previously considered was the use of typography as a decorative element, where in this article, the author points out that the font you use throughout the book may determine the tone of the work. Again, the main focus here is on the telling of a story, a sequence of images that flows together in a way that has purpose and meaning, and is highly curated in the sense that all together, the images convey a particular message. In doing so, the design elements of the book itself may determine how the reader interprets the work. For what I have in mind so far for my own project, I believe I will use a more classical sort of font for the title and captions, as the story I will include revolves around the home life; the central part of any average citizen’s life. From childhood, to attending school, enlisting in the National Guard, locking in a career, getting married and then having his own kids, these events align with the idea of the average // classic life experience. Another part of this article that caught my attention was the mentioning of other artistic media that may be included besides images and text. It may be wise to utilize other artistic techniques in the book as well, where I could make it a multi-media project and include drawings, newspaper clippings, painting, etc. to give the book a new dimension, providing further context to the story // time period in which it the images took place. All in all, my member will benefit most from simple meanings and the conveying of clear concepts, so its important to keep this simplicity in mind when bouncing around design ideas for my photobook. One point I would like to discuss further with the class is: how could the background color on a photobook’s pages play a role in determining the emotion that it evokes from the reader? How might color be used to an artist’s benefit, and how could it possibly hinder the artist’s intent if not used wisely?

No comments:

Post a Comment