Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Brain Fitness #7

I didn't necessarily discuss these concepts with my partner as he is not able to grasp complex ideas, however I definitely noticed his tendency to engage in these activities nonetheless. While I'm not entirely sure that this falls under the realm of punctum reaction, I noticed that one particular detail stood out to S when he was looking at photos of his father with a young lady. In earlier photos of this lady where she was alone in the photo, S recalled the woman as being his own sister. However, in a later photograph where she was presented alongside his father and they appeared to be about the same age, it became clear that she couldn't have been S's sister, but instead appeared to be his father's sister (his aunt). This one particular detail informed S of the reality of the situation and his relationship to her, and he depended on it for his own understanding. As my project will revolve around family and home life, I am really hoping to represent his relationships to others correctly (i.e. describe this woman as his AUNT, not his sister). In other words, I want the concepts I present in the photobook to align with reality and not confuse him further, but rather work to inform his memory in a correct way. Therefore, I think that I will have to pay attention (and guide his attention) towards little details like this in the photos we look at, in order to get a real sense for what is true, versus what he perceives to be true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment