Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Brain Fitness Debrief #11

I recall bringing in some artist's photobook to class one day to look at with him, and when I pulled it out and started pointing out aspects of the photos I thought were cool or interesting, he remarked, "But you've already looked at it. The only reason you're pulling this out is to go over it with me but you already know about it." I didn't really understand what he meant by this, but then I explained to him that it was actually my first time looking at these photos, sharing this experience with him. He seemed surprised that I didn't have anything planned out for what I was going to say or what I wanted him to think about, but instead was simply sharing an experience with him. He was more appreciative and attentive after this. This event really demonstrated how sometimes people with handicaps tend to see themselves as subjects rather than peers, where people working with them see them as students to go over material with rather than friends to share experiences with. Treating S as a friend meant a lot to me and represented how everyone deserves to be treated equally, no matter their handicap or mental capabilities. I brought up this very instance in a couple conversations with friends afterwards and pointed out how much it touched my heart to know that showing this person he really mattered, and his presence and friendship was valued. Every person I told agreed that it really made them realize how much a little hand of help, in the form of community engagement, can make a huge difference in someone's self-esteem and life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment